Duration: 8 days/ 7 nights
Minimum Group: 4 people
Route: El Vigia- Mérida- San Jose- Mérida- El Páramo- Barinas- Tucacas- Caracas
With 4 days hidden in the spectacular landscapes of the Andes, and 4 days enjoying the sun, sea, and sand of the Caribbean Sea, this package combines two extremes, two marvelous sites of Venezuela. It is designed for any type of person, be they elderly, young, families, groups of friends, or workmates.
Starting in Mérida, ‘the city of gentlemen’, it gives you the opportunity to feel the cool climate of the Andes, to observe the culture, the way of life, and the friendliness of its people in 4 days of visit before moving to the hot coastline.
Located in a beautiful valley, with views of the glaciers of Pico Bolivar from the very city, Mérida is full of good restaurants, museums, and only a short trip away in any direction you will find yourself in forests, rivers, and waterfalls.
During your time in Mérida, we will take you to the area known as the Pueblos del Sur (Villages of the South), to the ancient village of San José, in a one day trip. In San Jose you will have the opportunity to see the quaint architecture of the zone, a trout farm where you will be able to fish and eat your own trout, the historical church, and the main Bolivar Square, all of which are full of Andean tradition. We will also take you to the villages of San Juan, the location of the initial founding of the city of Mérida, and Lagunillas, where you will find the mysterious Urao Lagoon.
We include a free day in the itinerary, so that you can take advantage and see some of the sights of the city of Mérida, such as the Botanical Garden, the Museum of Science and Technology, the highest Teleferico (Cable Car) in the world, and also buy some souvenirs for the family in the marvelous Mercado Principal (main market). For those who have a more adventurous spirit, we can organize some additional activities on this day, such as paragliding, canyoning, mountain biking, or a short walk.
Leaving Mérida, we travel to the highlands of the State on the 4th day of the package, to visit el Páramo (highlands), where you can find famous landmarks such as Pico El Aguila, the Stone Chapel, villages such as Mucuchíes, Mucurubá, Tabay, the highest village of Venezuela, Apartaderos, as well as the lakes Mucubají and Negra, which are the entrance points to the National Park Sierra Nevada. You will have plenty of opportunity to enjoy the gorgeous Andean landscapes by reaching 4100m of altitude, as well as swimming in the highest hot springs in Venezuela, at 3,200m in the Musui.
But we won’t just be seeing the beauties of the Páramo during the day, but also by night, as we will spend the night in a wonderful hotel hidden in the mountains. With all of its commodities, the hotel is the perfect viewpoint to see the sunset and sunrise over the Andean mountain range, an unforgettable experience.
After a journey from the hotel to the coast, which is approx. 7 hours, we arrive at the famous Morrocoy National Park, the home of the most spectacular beaches of the Venezuelan coastline. During your stay here, we will organize 2 boat trips out to see the small islands in the area, where you can spend your time sunning yourself, swimming in the mild water, eating some typical fish dishes, or playing in the sand! The white sand, the smooth waves, the crystal waters, and the Caribbean sun- this impressive location won’t fail to amaze!
This 8 day and 7 night package combines two climates, two altitudes, two types of landscape, two peoples, two gastronomies, two modes of transport, and ultimately two stunning places which will both leave you enchanted and excited about your trip.
El Páramo (the highlands)
The National Parks Sierra Nevada and Morrocoy
Los Pueblos del Sur (the Villages of the South)
The City of Mérida
The Hot Springs of La Musui
Spending a night above 3000m of altitude
The small white-sanded islands of Tucacas
- Day 1– Transit to the city of Mérida, considered the most beautiful in the country, and at an altitude of 1700m. Accommodation in a 4* hotel in the center of the city.
- Day 2- After breakfast, we leave towards the village of San José, passing through San Juan, Lagunillas, the Urao Lagoon, Las Gonzales, a trout farm, and some shops of typical handicrafts from the zone. We return to the hotel in the evening.
- Day 3- Free day in the city of Mérida. You can see more of this beautiful city and its historic center. Optional activities can be arranged such as paragliding, walks, mountain biking, or canyoning.
- Day 4– After breakfast, we leave to the highlands (el Páramo) to visit the amazing landmarks of the Mucubaji Lake, Pico El Aguila, the hot springs of the Musui, Negra Lake, the Stone Chapel, the Perro Nevado monument, the Loca Luz Caraballo monument and more. We will arrive to a beautiful hotel in the mountains where we will spend the night.
- Day 5- We follow the route down from the mountains, through the cloud forrest, before arriving into Barinas, where we continue to the coast, and Tucacas, arriving in the evening to the 4* hotel.
- Day 6- After breakfast, we leave by boat to see some of the small islands of the zone, where you will spend the day in the paradise of the National Park Morrocoy. The boat will bring you back to the hotel for the evening.
- Day 7- As the previous day, you go by boat to see some of the other islands, spending the day under the sun and in the sea!
- Day 8- The last day! There is just enough time to say goodbye to the beach before starting your journey back home.
Included in the package:
- Accommodation for the 7 nights in a 4* hotel.
- Transport during your stay, both by boat and land.
- Transits from the airport of El Vigia or Mérida airport at the beginning, and from Tucacas to Caracas airport the last day. If you require transits from further away, this can be organized.
- With regards to the meals, included are 7 breakfast during the 8 days. Apart from these, your guide can recommend where you can try the local food in good restaurants.
- All of the mentioned activities.
Not included in the package:
- Airport taxes
- Any additional activities which you may wish to do in the 10 days (such as snorkeling, paragliding, etc)
- This tour is available all year round, with a minimum of 4 people. Some modifications made need to be made depending on specific conditions of the dates (for example, over Christmas or public holidays), but wherever possible we aim to stick to the itinerary explained here. However in general it is necessary to be flexible as tourist here in Venezuela.
- No special equipment is needed for this trip. A list of equipment will be sent to you by email on confirmation.
- Please inform us at the point of conformation about any food allergies, vegetarians, or any physical disabilities within the group.